Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Maxwell

Last night was most likely one of my last dinners with my friend, Max, until we meet again. I hope to see him when I come back to South Africa at some point in the future. I also hope he visits the United States, and he has made me promise to keep in touch because one day he wants to show me his true home on top of a mountain in Zimbabwe. I look forward to that day. 

Max has been a great friend to Laura, and to me. He went sky diving with us. He works so hard and is always looking on the bright side. I was so lucky to meet him. He is someone who is so willing and ready to leave the past behind and embrace the fact that everyone should be treated equally. The story of his journey from Zimbabwe to South Africa 9 years ago is haunting. It makes me realise how lucky I am. We certainly are not all given the same road to walk on. And yet we sat together last night with nothing between us but a table, and we couldn't have been happier.

We were also thrilled to get our picture taken to show off our matching hairstyles! 




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia, you are meeting such lovely people in your travels. I wish every young person could travel across the world at least once before settling down into a groove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Georgia

    Got your postcard! Thanks. Looks like your hair is growing back. I'm confused because your blog says you're going to Germany but your postcard says your going to SA. Oh well, sending love from here. Maybe you've seen a lion by now? B/T

    ReplyDelete