Sunday, February 28, 2016

A day in Cape Town

 Laura and I enjoyed a gorgeous day in Cape Town. We went to a couple of our favourite stores, watched the seals going crazy in the water, sat outside and listened to live African music for hours, and I spent a little tiny bit of time working on my presentation for the next day.

My presentation was for my gender class, and it was about how sexual violence against women during apartheid was largely ignored. It was barely acknowledged or taken seriously, and there are consequences still lasting today. Thankfully my presentation went very well, even though the day before I was relaxing listening to the African musicians by the sea in Cape Town :)

Laura has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor of my room. I have a sleeping bag and a blanket, so everything has worked out perfectly.  :)

The only bad news is that my laptop and bicycle got stolen within the same week. I never take my laptop to university, but I did on this particular day because Laura and I were going to sit and work on schoolwork in the bakery together. On the way to the bakery two men began a simple and nice conversation with me. I never felt threatened or suspected anything. When I got to the bakery my laptop was gone. We assume they are the ones who took it because any other options throughout that morning just do not make sense.

A few days later Laura and I got caught in an intense rainstorm on the way home. We arrived soaked to the bone. Because everything was so wet I left my bike outside and forgot to lock it (even though almost every other day I put my bike inside at night). The next morning I woke up and my bike was gone. Someone had jumped over the gate that night to get it. They kindly took off my basket and U-lock, placed the straps to my basket and my U-lock neatly inside my basket, left the basket on the ground, and just took the bike. Wow...

Sadly I have had some bad luck. I must say I was surprised after not having a single incident last year...only to now have two things stolen in the same week. I am not happy about it at all. I made a police report for both items, but other than that there is nothing I can do. Sadly, neither have been found yet. This just helps me to remember to be careful all the time. Even if nothing had happened before the possibility is still always there, and you have to take necessary precautions.
Laura and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment