Friday, August 7, 2015

Shaazia.

Before I came to South Africa the international staff at Stellenbosch sent out emails asking if we were interested in having a South African "buddy" to meet with when we arrived and help answer any questions. I said yes. I arrived a few weeks early with my mom and did not hear from my buddy, Shaazia. I assumed she was still on holiday. When it got close to school starting I emailed her. There was no response. I was a little worried, or at least thought it was not going to work out.

It turns out she had a death in the family, and was dealing with personal things when I wrote to her. Once she came back she has made a monumental effort to be nice to me, show me around, and help me. She is from Johannesburg, and is finishing her bachelor this year with two majors. Today she told me she wants to go to graduate school in Amsterdam! (But she does not have plans yet).

I found out from the beginning Shaazia likes breakfast. I normally do not wake up so early, but both times we have met it has been between 8:00 or 8:30 am. She has showed me two awesome breakfast places where there is a wonderful atmosphere while you can still feel the morning around you. Both times she has accompanied me to the library afterwards to help me with something. She is a lovely person, and a friend. I am excited to get to know her better and hang out :)
Me. Shaazia. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the Mattie Buddy thing finally worked out. Wish I knew about all the breakfast places when I was there.

    ReplyDelete