Friday, April 8, 2016

Namibia and more!

Hello,

I know there are some big breaks between blogs, so I hope everyone is still reading. There are some very exciting updates!

I am still surviving classes at Stellenbosch and volunteering with the kids at the Ikhaya school every Friday. I just finished a paper for my Gender, Culture, and the State in South Africa class. I am learning how to say, "I would like tea with warm milk and sugar" in isiXhosa, I am reading some interesting articles for Public Theology, and I just finished making a bracelet for my African Jewellery Class.

Not to mention, the amazing time I had recently with my boyfriend, Michael, visiting from Germany. I was supposed to be at the airport at 4:30 to meet Michael. That morning I woke up feeling so sick I couldn't even think straight. I was fine the day before. I felt nauseous, had stomach cramps, and a headache that felt like a migraine. I almost called my friend, Joseph, who was picking me up to tell him he would have to get Michael alone because I simply could not make it. My roommate, Jonita, got home and I told her how horrible I was feeling. She called her mom to asked how much medicine she should give me and made me one piece of toast. I laid there in the living room with Jonita taking care of me until Joseph arrived.

I put the seat back in Joseph's car all the way there. Joseph dropped me off and I walked like a zombie to find Michael. I couldn't even focus on the words on the signs in the airport. When I saw Michael I gave him a hug, and my next words were, "I feel so sick." I laid with my head on Michael's lap on the way back. The next day I went to the doctor where they gave me medicine and an anti-nausea shot. Soon I thought I was kind of bouncing back. The next day Michael and I were leaving for Namibia. The nausea came back the next morning. Joseph was there to pick us up again. At the last minute I grabbed a couple things I forgot and put them in a plastic bag and I was running out the door. I felt too bad to concentrate on packing. A little more than half way to the airport I was trying to take the deepest breaths I could, look out the window, and ignore the fact that we were going fast on the highway and I felt like I was going to throw up. It didn't work. I grabbed the plastic bag, dumped its contents on the floor of the front seat, and started throwing up while Joseph was driving us to the airport. In between "I'm sorry's" I kept going and sat there, miserable.

When Michael and I arrived at the airport we found a clinic. They said if I kept feeling this bad I could not fly. They gave me a medicine and Michael waited next to me while I laid on their bed. It was time to leave. I was feeling better. As Michael and I go through security they spotted my two full bottles of shampoo and conditioner from my favourite store in my backpack. I had to throw them away. I felt terrible that morning and the 1-2 days before. I did not think while packing, and I felt the consequences when I had to throw away two perfectly good bottles of my favourite stuff.

Finally we got to our gate and a woman came up to us and said the flight is full and that they are looking for someone small to sit in the cockpit. Michael didn't want me to go because he knew how bad I was feeling, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity knowing my dad's love for anything related to planes. Thankfully there was no vomiting in the cockpit. I had a lovely chat with the pilot and co-pilot, and had tons of fun. We landed in Namibia and by the next day I was more than 100% myself again, thank goodness!!!

From there Michael and I spent 8 days in Namibia. We first stayed in Swakopmund where we did a quad tour through the sand dunes, sand boarding, camel riding, and skydiving. We also drove up Skeleton Coast to Cape Cross where we were surprised to see millions of seals covering the coast, in and out of the water. We took another day and went on a road trip to Brandburg Mountain where we did a hike in intense heat to see what is called, The White Lady. These are stone carvings that have been found that are over 1,000 years old. Later we left Swakopmund and drove to Etosha National Park. It was very nice and we saw beautiful animals. I think we both wish we had had a bit more time to spend there. After this we spent our lsat night in Swakopmund and then headed back for South Africa. We also enjoyed some nice local restaurants in Namibia.

We spent a few days in Stellenbosch, and then we drove to the Indalu Game Reserve which is about 40 kilometres from Mossel Bay in South Africa. I have been there with Michael last year, Jacob, Iris, and Laura in February, and again with Michael now. We did an elephant walk, a game drive, met a fun couple from London who now live in Spain, drove to Mossel Bay and swan in the ocean, and stayed in a flat at Indalu. We were so relaxed we did not want to leave.

After that we came back to Stellenbosch and then spent the last weekend in Cape Town before Michael had to go home. Our location in Cape Town was right next to the beach. With the curtains open we could see all the kite surfers, and Table Mountain right across from us. It was lovely.

Sunday morning we woke up and Joseph took us to the airport. When we arrived at the desk they asked Michael if he would be on standby to leave the following day. In the end they asked him to leave the next day and he got a free ticket! This is just too crazy! Both Michael AND Laura got free tickets!!!

I have written a lot. Now I will share some of our amazing pictures!

Baby seal.


Skeleton Coast to Cape Cross Road Trip.
At the end we found a million seals! n

Crystal Stands were everywhere along this road with a small can for money to be put into. 



When you don't keep the front of the sand board lifted up the whole time you end up with LOTS of sand in your face! 


Quad ride through the dunes. 



Camel ride through the dunes. 

This was taken a moment before I got head butted by this camel....

Michael took a picture of me running off to use the bush toilet. 

On the way to Brandberg Mountain. 

The White Lady. 

The White Lady. 

Our hike at Brandberg Mountain. It was so hot we could barely enjoy it! 

Waiting to skydive. 

Suited up! 


Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Etosha.

Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Etosha. 

Hanging out with Gerhard and his wife at the Indalu Game Reserve, SA.

Elephant walk at Indalu, SA.

Last night at Indalu, SA.

Namibian beach. 

Namibian beach. 


2 comments:

  1. Looking fabulous. Dad wants you to post the picture in the cockpit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at these photos of the animals, I now know the inspiration for your new hairdo.

    Sending love from Los Angeles
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete